Fiddlehead Frittata with Bacon & Chevre
A savory fritatta packed with delicate fiddleheads, flavored with bacon and shallots, and topped with crumbled chevre.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1 lb organic red potatoes, chopped
- 12 ounces fiddleheads, cleaned
- 4 shallots (or one medium onion)
- 12 large eggs (or 10 duck eggs)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces chopped or shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled chevre
- olive oil, butter, or bacon fat for frying
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a deep cast iron pan, saute fiddleheads, chopped potatoes, and diced shallots, in a generous amount of butter, olive oil, or bacon fat. Cook over medium-low heat until fiddleheads are fiddleheads and potatoes are tender, and shallots are getting translucent - about 15-20 minutes.
Whisk together eggs and cheese in a large bowl, then add to the pan with the fiddlehead mixture. If you'd like to skip dirtying a bowl, just add the cheese and eggs directly to the pan, mixing vigorously as you crack in each egg.
Stir everything well so that it's thoroughly mixed, then put the whole thing in the oven. Bake until the center is set, and frittata is golden brown - about 35 minutes.
Cool slightly, and serve.