This summer-worthy fusilli alfredo recipe features decadent fillets of perfectly-seasoned tuna with an abundance of fresh, flavorful herbs. It's one of my family's all-time favorite easy dinner recipes!
This post is sponsored. Free samples were provided by Tonnino so that I could create this delicious recipe. Click here to learn more.
Oh, summer food. It's just the best, isn't it? My herb gardens are in their full glory, and they're currently inspiring just about every meal I make.
Earlier this month, I was invited to participate in a recipe contest sponsored by Tonnino, and you guys, I jumped at the chance. I adore excellent tuna, and already knew that Tonnino's sustainably-caught yellowfin tuna is really exceptional.
The day our mailman handed me a box full of the tuna samples for creating our recipe, the kids and I happened to just be emerging from the herb gardens with a huge haul of wonderfully pungent herbs. Mint, chives, rosemary, dill and thyme filled our baskets, along with lots of foraged lambsquarter and red sorrel.
I set down our baskets, and we stole a taste of the most magnificent jarred tuna I can imagine. Standing there breathing in the haphazard orchestra of all those mingled fresh herb scents, and marveling over the perfect seasoning and bright, fresh tuna taste, I instantly knew what I was going to make.
Now, when I say "tuna", it's important to note that if you're thinking of the ubiquitous stackable flattened cans of tuna fish, that's a far cry from what's in this jar. This bears more resemblance to a freshly-cooked fillet of line-caught tuna than what we're used to finding in those cans - even the higher quality ones.
Tonnino offers many wonderful varieties of tuna, and any of them would work well in this Fusilli Alfredo recipe. But my favorite for this particular recipe is their Tuna Fillets with Lemon & Peppers. It compliments the fresh herbs so well, and perfectly welcomes a finishing touch of some grated parmesan and a squeeze of lemon.
One thing I really love about this recipe is that it's SO very quick and easy. There are just three ingredients in the sauce, which means you honestly can make it from scratch in the same time it takes to heat up a jar of store-bought. And this is ever so much tastier. 😉
I've been whipping this up on weeknights, and the kids have declared it their new "most favorite" dinner.
Please don't be daunted by the fact that I don't call for exact proportions of specific herbs in this recipe. There is SO much joy in eating seasonally and locally - it's very hard to go wrong with any combination of fresh summer herbs. I hope you'll give yourself permission to be inspired by what's at hand. If you'd like a go-to combination though, try mint, dill, chives, and parsley. They work wonderfully in this, and if you happen to have a few edible flowers (like the chive blossoms in the photos), so much the better!
Where can you find Tonnino Tuna?
Tonnino Tuna can be found right at Whole Foods Markets. For more mouth-watering recipes and great dinner ideas, you'll want to follow Tonnino's feed on Instagram and like their page over on Facebook!
I truly hope your family enjoys this easy recipe as much as mine does!
- 8 ounces dried gluten-free fusilli
- 1/2 cup pastured butter, unsalted
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 cups high-quality grated parmesan, plus extra for garnish when plating
- 1 6.7 oz jar Toninno Tuna Fillets with Lemon & Pepper
- 1.5 cups fresh herbs, roughly chopped Try a combination of dill, parsley, mint, and thyme. Foraged herbs like red sorrel & lambsquarter work wonderfully too!
- 1 lemon (optional)
Cook fusilli according to instructions on package. Drain.
While fusilli is cooking, make the alfredo sauce.
- Add butter and cream to large saucepan.
- Bring to a light simmer over medium heat, stirring continually.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in grated parmesan, continuing to stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth.
Once the sauce is ready...
- Toss the drained fusilli lightly with the alfredo sauce, until well coated with sauce.
- Plate the pasta into 4 large bowls, adding 1/4 of the tuna fillets and 1/4 of the fresh herbs to each serving.
- Top with a grating of high-quality parmisan cheese, and wedge of lemon if desired. Serve immediately.
Read Next: Mediterranean Tuna Spring Rolls
Leave a Reply