What do you get when you take the best yellowfin tuna, and Mediterranean-inspired ingredients, then wrap them all up in a spring roll borrowed from Asian cuisine? Summer appetizer perfection. These easy Mediterranean Tuna Spring Rolls come together in less than 15 minutes, and they're a proven crowd pleaser!
This post is sponsored. Free samples were provided by Tonnino so that I could create this delicious recipe. Click here to learn more.
Do you know that feeling when you just "try something crazy" in the kitchen, combining ingredients you don't usually use together - and the result is so magical you wonder why you didn't discover this culinary alchemy sooner?
That's how I feel about this recipe! When I was invited to submit a recipe for the Tonnino Tuna Blogger Recipe Challenge, I knew I wanted to create something fresh and summery-feeling for the appetizer category.
It was also really important to me that I not smother the incredible flavor of the excellent yellowfin tuna that I was working with. I couldn't imagine losing that delicate flavor and perfect texture by tossing it with something like mayonnaise. (I felt so strongly about this, I couldn't resist making the meme below.😉)
I toyed with the idea of lettuce wraps, but I was really hoping to create something that could hold up to being a party-worthy appetizer. You know - finger food you can eat while wearing a garden party dress that you ever hope to wear again.
The last time I ate lettuce wraps I'm pretty sure I ended up tucking a napkin into my shirt. They're just inherently a bit messy.
In the end, I realized that Asian cuisine offered exactly the answer I was looking for - spring roll sheets. They're entirely neutral in flavor, and have an almost magical ability to hold ingredients together in a tidy finger roll.
Though the ingredients in these spring rolls are decidedly Mediterranean, borrowing the magic of those spring roll sheets from Asian cuisine turns these into a perfectly finger-friendly party food.
With just 7 ingredients, they're also very quick and easy to make. You can easily whip up a batch of these in less than 15 minutes!
While these Mediterranean Tuna Spring Rolls absolutely shine as an appetizer that appetizer that everyone will love, they also make a great healthy lunch for a smaller group. (To stick with the Mediterranean flavor palette, try pairing them with a wedge of ripe melon, or some fresh figs and a few almonds or pistachios.) This recipe serves 12 as an appetizer, or 4 as a meal.
Tonnino offers many wonderful varieties of sustainably-caught tuna, and almost any of them would work well in this Mediterranean Tuna Spring Rolls recipe. But my favorite for this particular recipe is their simple Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil. The excellence of the tuna really shines through!
You can find Tonnino Tuna right at Whole Foods Markets. For more mouth-watering recipes and great dinner ideas, you’ll want to follow Tonnino’s feed on Instagram and like their page over on Facebook!
I hope you and your guests enjoy this fresh and summery appetizer as much as my little gathering did, when I served these!
Read Next: Gluten Free Fusilli Alfredo with Lemon Tuna & Fresh Herbs
Mediterranean Tuna Spring Rolls
- 1 6.7oz jar Tonnino Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil
- 12 leaves romaine lettuce (about 6 ounces of lettuce)
- 12 spring roll sheets
- 1 small jar high-quality olive tapenade (you'll need about 5 ounces for this recipe)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 8 ounces plain goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 ounce capers
- Fill a wide, shallow bowl or pan with warm water for dipping the spring rolls. You'll want this right next to the area where you're working.
- Dip a spring roll in the warm water. Don't pay attention to packaging instructions that may tell you to "soak". Really truly just dip it quickly in the warm water, then spread it flat on your working surface.
- Place a piece of romaine on the damp spring roll. Center it vertically, but place it a little closer to the left side than the right. I find that to make perfect spring rolls, it works well if the romaine is just a little bigger than a pack of playing cards, and any hard stem or rib should be trimmed out. (See photo)
- On top of the romaine, add:a scant tablespoon of tapenade, two small slices of avocado, a tablespoon of goat cheese, 2 small fillets of tuna,and a teaspoon of capers.
- Lift the top and bottom of the spring roll, and bring together so they barely fold over each other.
- Starting with the left side, roll up the spring roll.
- Repeat with the other 11 spring rolls.
- Serve whole, or cut in half. These can be made up to two hours ahead of time, if stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.
tuna with goat cheese AND avo? sign me uppppppp!
What a great idea! Love all that goat cheese. 🙂
Jean Choi says
What an interesting and delicious combo of flavors. I definitely need to start making spring rolls at home!
Joni Gomes says
Yum! I have rice paper that I need to use up so was looking for a spring roll recipe. That Tonnino Tuna looks amazing!
So good! These will make an awesome main or side dish this Summer - even a packed lunch!
What a great idea. I've used lettuce to wrap the ingredients but I like the spring roll around it to keep everything together.
These are so cute! And I can actually make them without them falling apart! Thank you!
This looks so simple to make! I love yellowfin tuna, too! You are so right, it's almost a SIN to add mayo to that! 🙂
Oh my goodness, these sound delicious! I love wrapping tuna in romaine instead of some sort of bread. Great recipe!
Thanks so much for the kind words, Raia!!
Megan Stevens says
This is so yummy, and I've never considered this combination, but it's perfect! Love the wraps, the chevre, the tuna and the lettuce together so much!
We love these delicious tuna spring rolls! Thank you so much for the recipe!