This flavor-packed grilled salmon with mango lime salsa is the kind of meal you remember for days. Decadent and slightly exotic, it's actually SO easy you can whip it up in no time! Perfect for summer cookouts with guests!
My entire family loves salmon. It's hands-down our favorite type of fish, and since it's packed with those great Omega-3's and other powerful health benefits, I try to include it on our menu regularly.
The thing is, I tend to get stuck in a rut, and prepare it in pretty much the same way each time. 🙈 Where's the fun in that?
So when I was invited to participate in Cedar Bay Grilling Company's Blogger Recipe Challenge, I knew it was the kick I needed to get more creative and add a little exotic excitement to my salmon game!
Inspired by the fresh, bright flavors of the Caribbean, I knew I wanted to create a salmon recipe that could make me close my eyes and imagine myself dining in seaside kitchen, with a warm Island breeze in my hair.
My goal was also to create a condiment that would complement the quality of the exquisite fillet I was cooking, without smothering it.
It would be a crime to cover up the delicate flavors of salmon, cedar (from cooking it on the aromatic plank it comes with), as well as the perfect sugar & spice mix that it comes encrusted with.
This is a gorgeous and flavorful cut of salmon in its own right, and I wanted to add to that, not take away from it!
I decided on creating a rich mango salsa with buttery avocados and plenty of tangy fresh lime juice. It took a couple of iterations to really get the flavors just right for perfectly complementing a heavenly fillet of cedar-planked salmon.
While many mango salsa recipes call for the addition of fresh hot peppers, in this particular recipe, I actually prefer leaving out the 'heat'. I find it more conducive to relishing the nuances of all the fresh flavors and textures here.
That said - if you can't imagine salsa without a bit of heat, don't shy away from adding a minced chili or jalapeño.
If you're trying this recipe, you'll LOVE working with these easy salmon fillets that come all ready to cook, right on a cedar plank.
Cedar Bay planked salmon fillets are available in grocery stores throughout Canada, the U.S. and the United Kingdom - including Kroger, Publix, Hannaford, Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Ralph’s, Giant, Giant eagle, Stop 'n Shop and Roche Bros.
I was lucky enough to have my parents visiting when I made this delicious Salmon with Mango Lime Salsa, and we all declared it a new favorite family recipe! I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Grilled Salmon with Mango Lime Salsa
- 1 Cedar Bay Grilling Co. Sugar & Spice 24 oz Cedar Planked Atlantic Salmon
- 2 Mangos
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Red pepper
- 2 Limes
- 1 Bunch fresh cilantro (about 1 1/4 cups loosely chopped)
- Sea salt
Start by making the salsa
- Chop mangos, avocados, and cilantro. Dice red onion, and red pepper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and add the juice of two large limes.
- Toss gently to mix well, and salt lightly to taste if desired. Salsa can be made up to 3 hours ahead of time, if refrigerated and kept tightly covered.
Grill Salmon according to instructions on the package:
- Preheat grill to 425°
- Remove fully thawed salmon from packaging, but leave it on the cedar plank
- Cook for 12-15 minutes - the core temperature should reach 158°
- Abundantly garnish planked salmon with the mango salsa.
- Serve immediately, with extra salsa on the side, or offered in a bowl at the table.
Read Next: Orange & Ginger Salmon with Tzatziki