This Einkorn sandwich bread recipe is ready in 1.5 hours from start to finish! It's light, yet sturdy enough to hold up to any sandwich filling you choose.
Originally published March 2019. Updated Sept. 2021.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to learn more.
Our daily bread here is almost always a sourdough loaf, made with Einkorn flour. I like the nutritional benefits of letting a loaf slowly rise under the action of a sourdough levain, and we all enjoy the flavor and texture of sourdough.
BUT - sometimes you can't wait all morning for a sourdough loaf to rise. Some days, you need a loaf as close to right now as possible. For those days, I developed this quick Einkorn sandwich bread recipe, which we now use about once a week.
This is a small-batch recipe that makes just one perfect loaf. If you need more, it can easily be doubled.
From the moment you start to gather ingredients, to the moment you're turning the finished bread out of the pan, the whole process take an hour and half at most.
The texture of this bread is sturdy enough to feel like a healthful and robust loaf, without being at all dense. It also doesn't have the "homemade wonder bread" feel to it, like so many other quick-rise yeast breads I've tasted. The addition of the egg gives it a delicate crumb, and allows a very normal amount of yeast to be used, even thought this a speedy one-rise loaf.
Read Next: Easy Einkorn Brioche
It's become my bread of choice if I want to make little "fancy" sandwiches, like for a picnic, since it holds up so well to being sliced very thin without falling apart. The air pockets are a bit smaller than with our usual sourdough, making it a great choice for something that's a bit of a rare treat around here - peanut butter and jam sandwiches!
When I first started making sourdough again, I really thought I'd probably never make another loaf of "regular" bread again, but this Einkorn sandwich bread recipe has a earned a spot in our baking rotation, and with its ability to be made so quickly, has definitely saved breakfast more than once.
Quick Einkorn Sandwich Loaf
- bread pan
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or one packet)
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups einkorn flour
- In a small pan, heat the water and butter together just until butter is melted.
- Pour warm butter water into a large mixing bowl, along with the milk.
- Add the yeast and whisk to incorporate.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs, and 2.5 cups of the flour. Mix to form a slightly sticky dough.
- Put the remaining 1/2 cup of flour onto kneading surface - it works well to spread it into a circle just larger than the ball of dough. Turn the dough onto the floured surface, and knead until all flour is incorporated, and dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form into a loaf, and place in a well-greased (or parchment lined) bread pan. Let rise for 50 minutes, or until double.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 400°, making sure the center rack position is available for the bread when the time comes.
- When bread has risen, place in the middle of the center rack, and bake for 22-25 minutes, until richly brown. Loaf will sound hollow if lightly rapped.
- Remove from oven. For a really perfect loaf, let bread rest for just 5-10 minutes, then carefully turn out of the pan to finish cooling the rest of the way. This gives an improved texture to the lower crusts.
If you liked this post, you may enjoy:
✦ Bacon Wrapped Quail with a Butter Pesto Sauce
✦ Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Ideas
✦ Duck Egg Mayonnaise
✦ Salted Maple Honey Caramels
✦ 18 Amazing Fruit Leather Recipes